Week 7: Manufacturing
Manufacturing must be considered early in the startup process. Products that cannot be cost-effectively manufactured, delivered or supported are destined to fail. This week’s curriculum covers:
- Manufacturing fundamentals and challenges
- The importance of and resources for prototyping
- Deciding whether and how to manufacture or outsource
- Where and how manufacturing impacts your business model canvas
This weeks also introduces your one-page executive summary deliverable. This fact sheet will accompany your pitch deck to provide a brief, high-level business overview that is easy to read and scannable. Your executive summary is part of the final due-diligence packet to be turned in at final evaluations.
Week 7 Requirements
- Before You Manufacture…Build a Prototype
- Where to Manufacture: In-house, Outsource, or In-between?
- Manufacturing and the Business Model Canvas
- Watch Video
- View Slide Deck
- Hardware Startup Basics: From a Working Prototype to Your First Batch: This is an outside video from Dragon Innovation (makers of Roomba). It’s oriented toward electro-mechanical products but most of the content applies to just about any product. The video includes discussion of issues we’re covering from the perspective of an experienced entrepreneur.
- Deciding between Chinese vs. Domestic production | from start to minute 9:00
- How to select a contract manufacturer | from minute 9:01 to 16:46
- Cost | from minute 16:47 to 28:10
- Schedule | from minute 18:11 to 29:51
- Quality | from minute 32:33 – 33:57
Live Panel Session: July 24
Wednesday, July 24, 2019
5:00 pm to 6:30 pm PDT
Join Zoom Meeting
One tap mobile
+1 669 900 6833
Meeting ID: 972 255 911
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/atwuSteqx
Additional Tools & Resources
Homework & Deliverables
- Continue conducting your customer discovery interviews (at least three per week).
- Deliverable: Update your business model canvas as you learn from the customer discovery interviews.
- Deliverable: Begin developing your one-page executive summary/fact sheet with your latest materials. Use this sample as a potential template.
Mentor Activities & Assistance
- Review your customer discovery interview progress with your mentors.
- Review this week’s deliverables with your mentors.