Week 5: Intellectual Property, Incorporation & Other Legal Concerns
Dorsey & Whitney partnered with the Cascadia CleanTech Accelerator to provide the cohort with ongoing intellectual property (IP), incorporation and general legal guidance. You’ll meet with Dorsey & Whitney experts a couple times throughout the curriculum. These experts are also available for one-on-one mentor connections if you need additional legal guidance.
This week’s prerequisite videos and live session feature two Dorsey & Whitney legal experts walking the cohort through common forms of intellectual property protection; strategies to protect your competitive advantage; common forms of business incorporation; and how to structure corporate governance to minimize investor due diligence and negotiation issues.
It’s a lot of information to digest, some take notes and come to the live session prepared with questions!
Week 5 Requirements
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property
- Incorporation and Other Startup Considerations
Live Panel Session: July 10
IP, Incorporation & Other Legal Concerns
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
5:00 pm to 6:30 pm PDT
Click here to view the recorded webinar.
Additional Tools & Resources
Homework & Deliverables
- Continue conducting your customer discovery interviews (at least three per week).
- Deliverable: Update your business model canvas as you learn from the customer discovery interviews.
- Deliverable: Review the intellectual property and incorporation sections of the Startup Self Assessment Checklist and review your status with mentors. Document how you will address issues in a brief legal issues action plan.
- Prepare any intellectual property and incorporation questions you have for the live panel session. Don’t miss this opportunity for legal insights from Dorsey & Whitney.
- Deliverable: Using the Pitch Deck Template, based on what you know today, prepare a draft of the advantage slide. This slide shows the sustainable competitive advantage you have (and/or will build) by documenting things that (unlike products) are not easily copied, including patents, trade secrets, key strategic partnerships, etc.
Mentor Activities & Assistance
- Review your customer discovery interview progress with your mentors.
- Review this week’s deliverables with your mentors.